I Think Therefore I Am

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Tere Bin Main Yun Kaise Jiya...

Its been six long years since Mummy left us..I still remember that fateful early morning when I was at home during my summer vacations after my first year at college..My mom had been battling cancer for more than a year..It all started when I had cleared engineering entrance examinations I cannot fathom how and was ready to take my first step in the big world outside.

Mummy had been diagnosed with cancer in its advanced stages..That was a windfall on our family..I still remember the days when me and my twin brother,Rohit used to fight over trivial things..One day, when we were clutching each other's throats and making a commotion as if we were baying for each other's blood, Mummy came running in..She said just one line "Kill each other, that'll be the best" and that was the end of our petty fights for all time to come.
I had the greatest family one can pray for..I remember my father taking all the pain to have mummy treated at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai,religiously feeding her medicines during Chemotherapy sessions..My sisters would leave their families and work and try to spend as much time as possible with Mummy..and there I was at college,being ragged continuously for five months,penning down a few occassional letters..Sometimes, I felt like leaving and running back home..But when your parents have taken all the trouble to put you where you are,it would be a breach of their trust,their expectations from this fit-for-nothing son of theirs.

After the first semester exams, I went home for a week..and that fleeted by..I could see the pain in everyone's eyes,but was left helpless.My Mummy was a shade of her normal self,but doctors were hopeful of her recovery.Being a strong woman, she did respond to the medicines well..We all were optimistic..I remember going to the college temple as frequently as I could,almost everyday..All our prayers were being heeded to,I thought!!

After completing my first year,I was home again..I remember my brother giving medicines to Mummy everyday..and since he was doing it, i didnt care whether I should take all the trouble..My sisters and father would all day sit around her..I went one day to Mummy's room to spend some time with her..and she didnt want me to see what she was going through, so she asked me to leave..Alas that was the last time I spent some personal moments with Mummy.

That morning of that fateful day, I woke up to find Papa breaking the news to me..I was aghast,not knowing whether to cry or what..Wellwishers started pouring in with their condolences..and then my Dad said this one thing that will be etched forever in my memory "Beta, I'm sorry I couldn't save your Mummy".He broke down and so did I.

I can't pen down anything further..enough senti stuff for the day.
But Mummy wherever you are,I know our family has your blessings..You'll be there for us, though I believe I couldnt be there when you needed your elder son the most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home